(This didn’t make it as my first post of the year, but I made it to January’s first week, so yay!)
Happy New Year! 🎆
I hope you all had a wonderful New Year’s celebration. I had an amazing time with my family. New Year, for me, is the culmination of the Christmas season. Like Christmas Day, I spent it with my loved ones. While Christmas Day was a day for the whole extended family, New Year is a bit more intimate. The best part is that my family was complete. ☺ We even had my uncle spend it with us as he is temporary living at our house since a few days ago. As usual, we did our rituals — which include turning on all the lights and almost all electronics in the house including vehicles, and making so much noise as much as possible with our torotots and jars filled with coins! It’s all supposed to bring in good luck. I really don’t believe in it, but it’s really fun to do! 😄 We also had lots of food! It was a very noisy and very lively New Year’s celebration!
I’m not sure what to make of 2017. Life-wise, it wasn’t really very eventful. Well, maybe a couple of things:
- First of all, the most obvious, this blog was reborn! And the best part is that it’s still active until now! That’s a big deal! 🙌
- I actually launched it in November 2016, but 2017 feels like it was the year it was really open — I opened a free web hosting service, Leprd!
- My family started a small business, which I helped run when I was on my mid-year vacation!
- Fandom-wise, I was able to watch Bates Motel while it was airing! It was my first time to watch a series within the same period it’s airing, instead of binging everything months or years later. I met a lot of people in the fandom and even tossed ideas and theories back-and-forth with them. Not only was I able to interact with the fans, but also with the creators and even some of the actors on Twitter. It was such a fun experience!
- I wrote a few fics this year! Two of which are published, while the rest are secretly kept in my folders because they are still works-in-progress and some I just dropped. Still, I’m glad that I was able to write at all. The feedback I got was really great, plus I also believed that my writing improved even a little bit.
- I finally got to see my favorite singer Lani Misalucha live, which was a very big accomplishment for me and might possibly be my favorite thing that happened last year! My fangirl self was in heaven. 😍 I want a repeat of that experience!
- (I honestly had so much fangirl luck last year! I can’t say any more, but I was so blessed. 😇)
- I met new friends! 😚
- I conquered a lot of my irrational fears last year. Just really small things that I realized were really silly once I opened myself up to those experiences. Small things, but a very big deal to me.
- I read 44 books!
- I semi-completed my mood chart! I started in the middle of March, and I was able to keep up until the middle of November. I had more good days than bad days!
- In the middle of the year, I also started tracking my calories. I lost a bit of weight, and I was desperate to gain it back. I only had the chance to check my weight again at the end of the year (where art thou, weighing scale?), and viola! I gained the kilograms I lost! ✊
I am normally not one to make yearly resolutions. I don’t really believe in them, and I have always thought that if I want to change something, I don’t have to wait for New Year for that! However, I do see the advantage of New Year’s Resolutions. Since the coming of a new year is such a big change, you would feel more comfortable, motivated, and compelled to make big changes to your life as well.
Last year, I didn’t have any resolutions. Now that I think about it, I don’t remember ever having concrete New Year’s resolutions. Even when I had resolutions, they were very abstract and general. This time, I want to change things up! The idea of checking and examining yourself by the end of the year is starting to appeal to me. I like seeing how much I have progressed with my pre-set goals. Of course, I do not want to make these goals too unattainable. It actually took me quite a while to come up with the list, because I wasn’t sure if I have any motivations to accomplish tasks. 😅
My 2018 Goals
Keep this blog up! I want to preserve my momentum from last year and keep this blog up and running. So far, I have been very diligent when it comes to writing posts in advance. I want to keep doing that.
Take more risks and adventures. I’m risk-averse by default, and sometimes I do feel like I play safe too much. This year, I want to take more risks! I need to get out of my comfort zone, too, sometimes.
Be more minimalist. I need to unload things — tangible or otherwise — I don’t need. I like to think that I’m pretty good at this! And with that, I should live up to it…
Improve my photography skills. I just realized I’m not really that good of a photographer. I’m not really fond of taking pictures with my phone camera, either, and I think that’s why. I want to improve! I joined Instagram out of impulse last year, and maybe it will encourage me to become better (even though I barely post at all…).
Renovate Affelius (and maybe also Asclaria). I want to give the website a new look, and also re-work its structure, and maybe re-code the CMS. I usually do this every year, but last year, I wasn’t able to! I have a couple of ideas bubbling for a while. I have more of my websites I want to revamp, but this is the most major one and the project that will take the most amount of time.
Create a shrine for a favorite character! I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. Right now, I’m thinking of doing one for my all-time favorite anime character, Cornelia li Britannia from Code Geass, especially since there’s a third season of the series coming out this year, and my love for Cornelia never dies. (She’s been my top 1 favorite anime character since I first saw her when I just started watching anime!)
Earn money. (a.k.a., Get a job.) I’m still in school, but I want to get a job for my free time. I feel like the only thing I do is spend, and I want to actually earn money and save up. Sure, I do a couple of freelance gigs on the side, but they barely give me anything. I still depend on my parents financially, and I just don’t like that feeling of having to depend on them for that until now. I don’t care about the amount, really, minimum wage is fine. I just want something regular and stable. I adjust to changes pretty okay, so I know I will be good. Related: Be more financially responsible.
Meet more people. While I also like being on my own, I like meeting new people. I like that initial phase of getting-to-know and discovering things about each other. 😊 I don’t demand friendships, though; it could just be acquaintances. I really just want to meet more people!
Meditate regularly. I tried last year, but I wasn’t able to keep it up. I only managed to keep the streak for a few days, and then poof! It requires a lot of discipline, which is exactly why I’m making this into a reflection of my self-discipline. It’s a challenge to myself.
Exercise! 😭 Does yoga count? I need to do more cardio…
Read at least 30 books. I already set my Reading Challenge to 30 books just like last year. I hope I can top it!
Write! It could be in the form of fan fiction or original work.
Keep coding! I don’t want this hobby to die!
Learn a new skill! I really want to learn a new skill. It could be anything, like learning a new language, either spoken or code, but I want something more hands-on this time. Maybe crochet? Related: Improve existing skills.
Overcome my current biggest hurdle. I have a major problem that until now I still can’t talk about freely and honestly. I need to overcome it. I’m so desperate about it, but the desperation still has not outweighed the anxiety I feel about it. It’s an issue that’s been going on for a while, and I haven’t been really doing anything to face the problem; all I have been doing up until now is escape and escape and escape, because I’m so scared. For what reason? I totally don’t know! This is my most important resolution for this year. I need to face it, and just get it done with! This is honestly the only thing in my life that’s keeping me from being completely happy and free from everything. (My standard for happiness isn’t even that high, which means this problem is really huge. 😭)
Be happy. 😎 Most importantly, I want to continue living my life on my own pace. I like to think that it’s exactly what I have been doing for a while, and I am happier for it! I want to keep on reminding myself of what’s important in my life, which things matter and which things don’t. Hopefully, this year, I will also be able to learn more things about that, understand everything a little bit more.
Along the way, I will probably have more things to add to this list. For now, these are all I could think of! Good luck to me (and good luck to you!)! We can do this! 💪